Already an accomplished film and theatre actress at a very young age, Fatoumata Diawara’s musical talents are first discovered by Cheik Tidiane Seck. She collaborates on Damon Albarn’s Africa Express and contributes vocals to albums by Cheikh Lô, AfroCubism, Herbie Hancock’s Grammy winning “Imagine” Project, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Oumou Sangaré and Orchestra Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou, for whom she also co-composes. Fatou’s EP “Kanou” is released on World Circuit on 9 May, 2011 followed by her debut album ‘Fatou’ in the autumn of 2011.
Label: World Circuit
Distribution in France: Harmonia Mundi
Release date: September 29, 2011
Fatoumata Diawara has packed a lot of experience into her 28 years. Amongst other projects, she starred in Cheikh Oumar Sissoko’s film ‘La Genese’. Moving to Paris in her early twenties she spent six years touring internationally with the theatre troupe Royal de Luxe, going on to star in the musical ‘Kirikou et Karaba’, while recording and touring with Oumou Sangare and writing her own film script. All of which has fuelled her passion to develop her own music, composing, arranging and playing her own material, blending Wassalou traditions and wider influences into a spacious acoustic environment where the warm tones of her voice can glide and shine.
- February 20: Toulouse - Salle Nougaro
- February 21: Echirolles - Théâtre
- February 21: Echirolles, France - La Rampe
- February 23: Saint Ouen L'Aumone - Théâtre
- February 23: Saint-Ouen-l'Aumône - France - L'Imprévu
- March 17: Le Port, La Réunion - plein air
- March 22: Digne Les Bains, France - Centre René Char
- March 23: Beziers - Sortie Ouest